FIM Position: REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE INFORMATION (RMI)
Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme
Repair and maintenance information (RMI) is information stored in electronic devices which are part of the vehicle. RMI can be accessed by universal or special connectors. Vehicle repair and maintenance information means all information required for diagnosis, servicing, inspection, periodic monitoring, repair, re-programming or re-initialising of the vehicle, which the manufacturers provide for their authorised dealers and repairers, including all subsequent amendments and supplements to such information. This information includes all information required for fitting parts or equipment on vehicles.
Why is repair and maintenance information (RMI) important for the rider?
- Repair and maintenance information (RMI) is vital for the functioning of the motorcycle and therefore for the rider.
- Without access to the RMI, repair shops, roadside assistance services and owners of vehicles who, for whatever reasons, do their own maintenance and repairs, may not be able maintain and repair the vehicle.
- RMI stores a large amount of data on the vehicle itself, but in some cases also of the use of the vehicle, that can be accessed by means of a device or transmitted to the manufacturer. Therefore, ownership of data and privacy are at stake.
How to handle repair and maintenance information
- Riders own the repair and maintenance information (RMI) and have a right to know what data is generated.
- Riders should have the ultimate right to decide who has access to the RMI and what is being done with it.
- RMI should be accessible by the owner, or anyone who is delegated to this by the owner, by way of a standardized connector, at no extra cost.